Monday, July 9, 2012

Email: 9 July 2012 - transfers, fireworks, music and boys


Hello family and friends! So transfers were on Wednesday. Sister Nelson and I have set a goal to find more females to teach. All of the people we are teaching right now are boys. We have been praying to find a girl to teach who is ready to accept the message of the Restoration. As we have been out actively looking for girls to approach and talk to we realized... THERE ARE NONE! There are only boys here! What the heck? (hence the reference to boys in the subject line of the email) We can't seem to find any girls anywhere. Sister Nelson and I were out knocking on doors on Saturday and found an apartment building with only girls in it. We were so HAPPY! haha! Nothing against boys....I love to teach them too, but we really want to teach a girl too. We ended up finding one new investigator in that building. We are going back to see her on Tuesday.
All the Sister Missionaries in OOCM, Sister Record is in the front middle.

Okay... my 4th of July...I kept forgetting that it was the 4th of July to be honest. My first thought all morning was "I can't believe today is transfers", not "today is the 4th of July!" So we went to transfers, I got to see all my friends. :) Every single sister in the mission was there, which is a rare thing. I will be sending a picture of that. It was a lot of fun. After transfers we went back to Norman and planned for the day. We had a tough time figuring out what to do. We ended up going out tracting. A mission goal was to find one new investigator per companionship on the 4th. The Lord blessed us to find one new person to teach (who is a boy. Go figure. haha!) After knocking on doors for a while we went back to have dinner. We were still stuck on what to do in the evening. Knocking on doors would not be very effective. Our mission got permission from President Taylor to watch fireworks if we had a recent convert, less active member or investigator with us. Sister Nelson and I were able to watch the fireworks with [Name withheld 1] (a guy we're teaching. He is the best!), Bryce (a member) and [Name withheld 2], a recent convert. We went to Reeves Park to watch fireworks. It was a lot of fun. :)

It's funny you mentioned Kaelye in your letter Dad. I have been meaning to tell you about her. She told me yesterday in church that we are third cousins once removed. I think it is really ironic that you were randomly talking to her uncle. I will have to tell her about that when I see her tomorrow. She is giving Sister Nelson and I haircuts. :) She is leaving for the Provo MTC in August I believe. She is serving her mission in CA somewhere.... San Fernando I think.

So many great things have happened this week! I told you about [Name withheld 1]. He is incredible! He agreed to prayerfully set his own baptismal date. He is doing great! I love being in a student ward because I get to teach people who I consider my friends about the Gospel. Not that I can't do that in a family ward. I definitely felt friendship with people in my last area it is just a good experience to teach people my own age.

Anyway, [Name withheld 1] is the President of the Undergraduate Philosophy Club here at OU. Last Tuesday he gave me, Sister Christensen, and Sister Nelson shirts from the club. Then we were officially sworn into the club. It was a bunch of fun!

Sunday was pretty eventful if I do say so myself. Oh where to begin... We were in relief society doing a little missionary moment before relief society. We challenged the sisters to share the Gospel with a friends. We asked if anybody had any missionary experiences last week. Nobody raised their hand. Then two of the girls said they had just had one in the foyer. They told us about how there was a guy sitting out in the foyer. They had come in late and started to talk to him. He told them he was just coming inside to get away from the heat. He has only been in Norman for a week. As we heard about this guy who is sitting out in the foyer Sister Nelson and I had a hard time finishing the missionary moment. We were anxious to go out an talk to him. It made everybody laugh.

Sister Lorielle Record and Carl Bowcut
We went out to talk to him. We learned his name is [Name withheld 3] and learned that he is looking for a job and a home. He told us he knew that God had led him here for a reason. We offered him the Heavenly Gift. As we were praying with him, I realized that I really can't judge this guy and his motives just because he is homeless. I also realized that here is this guy who is going through a rough time in his life and needs the message of the Gospel. I also felt the spirit remind me that he is my brother. After that we were able to talk to him a little bit more about the Gospel and give him a copy of the Book of Mormon. He was very gracious and kept telling us he would work for us or whoever he needed to in order to get food and a place to live. I was reminded of the story of the Prodigal son as we talked with [Name withheld 3]. Our ward mission leader walked out and started talking to him. He offered to give him dinner and invited him to the Utah Valley Children's Choir concert at the stake center. Our ward mission leader offered him a ride and ended up giving him a couple of his shirts he never wears. [Name withheld 3] ended up coming to the choir concert and really enjoyed it and even got a little teary eyed. The ward mission leader was able to set something up through the Bishop to get [Name withheld 3] a motel room for the night. He told our ward mission leader that he had started to read the Book of Mormon and as soon as he was settled in a room for the night we was going to keep reading it. :)

Jodi Wilson and Sister Record
As Sister Nelson and I were waiting for [Name withheld 3] and other members of the ward to get to the stake center I ran into Carl Bowcut! He took a picture of us together and emailed it to you dad. I figured I would see him there because I knew he was involved with the choir. Well I was shocked when I saw Jodi Wilson. I ran up to her and gave her a big hug...and I got a little teary eyed. She had completely forgotten that I was in Oklahoma. Oh it was so good to see Jodi! It made my day! I can't even tell you how happy I was to see Jodi there! She took a picture of us with her phone and posted it on Facebook. haha! Then I saw her daughter Riley who was in the choir. That was a lot of fun. :D I got to talk to her for a few minutes. I felt so much love from the two of them. It was such a tender mercy from the Lord to run into Jodi and Riley. Yesterday was a great day!

I love y'all! Thanks for all your prayers! "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16
Have a wonderful week!

Love, Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment