Monday, June 10, 2013

Miracles Are on the Far Side of Obedience and Hard Work

This morning if I were to put a theme song on how I feel it would be "Oh What a Beautiful Morning!" Actually, that is not the best theme song. I think it would be "On This Day of Joy and Gladness!" (p64)

Sister Loveland and I had a powerful companionship study this morning... and yesterday. I'll start with yesterday. We talked about the parable of the 10 virgins and how the oil and the lamp are comparable to the Doctrine of Christ. It is living the Doctrine of Christ that prepares us to one day meet God again.

I drew a picture on our white board, but never took a picture. I'll see if I can describe it.
1- the flame of the lamp represents faith
2- the wick represents repentance. If we are not constantly trimming our lamp, the wick folds over on itself and the flame goes out.
3- Our reserve oil that we need to constantly be pouring into our lamp is baptism. To take that one further, it is making and keeping covenants with our Heavenly Father.
4- The oil in the lamp is like the Holy Ghost. As we keep our covenants, we have the Holy Ghost with us which leads to continually put the oil in our lamps which is enduring to the end.

Today we were preparing for a lesson with a potential new investigator. (I'll tell you how we found him later.) As I was in my personal study the quote from President Benson came to my mind from Chapter 1. He said, "We are commanded by God to take this gospel to all the world. That is the cause that must unite us today. Only the gospel will save the world from the calamity of its own self-destruction. Only the gospel will unite men of all races and nationalities in peace. Only the gospel will bring joy, happiness, and salvation to the human family.” The Spirit testified to me very strongly that we needed to tell this man we are going to teach this.

We were talking about how important the How to Begin Teaching Points were from Preach My Gospel. One of the points is that our message is centered on Jesus Christ, which make it of great value and importance. Why is it so important? Because the gospel is the only thing that will unite ALL men. It is the only thing that will bring joy and happiness. It is the ONLY thing that will bring salvation to all of God's children.

It was a very powerful moment to have that really sink deeper into our hearts. Sister Loveland and I made some goals to be more obedient and more consecrated missionaries. We are praying and expecting miracles this upcoming week, so it is important that we do our part.

In ward council yesterday each member made specific commitments to somehow share the gospel with a friend. It was AMAZING! Us and the Elders told the ward council that we were going to be 100% obedient and consecrated because they were putting a lot of trust in us as missionaries. It's hard to describe the spirit that was there... but it was exciting and nothing short of miraculous!

Sister Hunt and Sister Record
So about this guy we are teaching today, I was on exchanges with Hermana Hunt on Friday. We were in my area. We had a lot going on and didn't have a whole lot of time for tracting. Before we went out we prayed that Heavenly Father would provide us with a miracle, even though we didn't have a whole lot of time to be out tracting. We got to the place we had planned to go. I told Hermana Hunt that we needed to follow the Spirit in finding so we could use the time we had effectively. The first door and second doors we knocked on nothing happened.

I asked Hermana Hunt which one we should go to next. She went into the parking lot and closed her eyes. She opened them and walked straight to this one door (it was the one I was hoping she would choose because I felt we needed to go there too.) The guy answered the door and we told him who we were and what we were out doing. He let us pray with him. He wanted us to pray that he would be able to have more love for people and also that people would have more love for others. He said so many of the world's problems would be solved if people had more love in their hearts for other people. (As I thought about what he said, the quote from President Benson came to my mind during studies this morning.) Sister Loveland and I are really excited to teach him today.

We taught Sister H this week! She is still as amazing as ever! She is getting baptized on July 6th! Sister Loveland and the other sisters set a baptismal date with her on Wednesday while Sister Pfister and I were in the city for a meeting with President Taylor and the Zone Leaders. So many miracles have been happening and we feel like this is just the beginning! I hope I get to stay here until the end of my mission. This area and this ward are fabulous! I love each of you! Thank you for all your prayers!

Love, Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment