Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Email: 5 June 2012


Hey everybody!

Sorry I didn't write yesterday. It was quite an interesting day we had yesterday. So the reason I didn't write yesterday was that Sister Christensen got really sick on Sunday. So we stayed home with her yesterday to let her rest. I started to get a little restless being in the house all day... so I started to play with playdough and made this for Sister Christensen. She liked it. :)

We taught a girl named [Name withheld] on Sunday. She is roommates with one of the recent converts and both of them are from China. It was a very powerful lesson. First thing she asked before we even started was if Sister Christensen was feeling okay. [Name withheld] could tell she wasn't feeling well. [Name withheld] doesn't really believe in God, but wants to know for herself if He is really there. We taught her about how God is our loving Heavenly Father and that he wants to hear from us. We taught her how to pray and what to pray for. We invited her to pray at the end of the lesson. She was a little nervous about praying, but she did. She read the format of prayer in the Restoration pamphlet and prayed out loud for the first time in her life. It was incredible! She gave such a great prayer. Sister Christensen was just starting to get sick and [Name withheld] prayed that Sister Christensen would feel better soon. After the prayer [Name withheld] was all smiles and gave Sister Christensen and then all of us a big hug. :D

At Zone Conference a couple weeks ago Sister Taylor talked to the Sisters about how its really easy for us to look too casual in our dress. She asked us to please wear a nice jacket or blazer to Sunday meetings and other church related meetings. We need to look a little more professional at those kinds of things. On Sunday morning I was getting ready for church and was thinking to myself that on Monday I need to go get a jacket to wear to Sunday meetings like Sister Taylor had mentioned at Zone Conference. I had looked for a jacket the previous P-day when we were shopping, but couldn't find one. As I was getting ready I said a quick prayer that I would be able to find a jacket on Monday and that I wouldn't have to spend a lot of money on it. Immediately after the prayer I think I mentioned out loud to my companions that on Monday we needed to go to the store so I could find a jacket. Sister Christensen told me there was an extra jacket in the closet. I tried it on and it fit perfectly. An answer to prayers? I think so. :)

On Tuesday (May 29) The whole mission was under a tornado watch, but nothing really happened. We did have some pretty sweet lightening and thunderstorms. I took a video clip of it (from inside the house). It was just constant flashes of lightening and a lot of thunder! It made me so HAPPY!! I will miss the thunderstorms when I come home... in over a year. haha! It is crazy to think Friday is my four month mark! August will be my 6 month mark. Jason hits his year mark in July. Oh man how time just flies by!

On Wednesday (May 30) I came across this from David O McKay. He is talking about how he visited a sculptor's yard in Florence Italy once. He says, "Scattered about were unbroken, irregular pieces of granite from which a sculptor was preparing to cut out a vision which he saw in his mind... If you had stood in that yard, and a man had placed in your hands a chisel and a hammer, would you have dared to take one of the shapeless blocks of stone and carve a human image our of it? You could not do it. Or if someone had placed before you a canvas and given you paints and put in your hands a brush, would you have undertaken to paint on that canvas the picture of an ideal soul? You probably would have said to the first, 'I'm not a sculptor' and to the second, 'I am not a painter. I cannot do it.'
Nevertheless, each of us is carving a soul this very minute- our own. Is it going to be a deformed one, or is it going to be something admirable and beautiful? Your's is the responsibility. Nobody else carves it for you. Parents may guide, and teachers may help with suggestions, but each young man and young woman has the responsibility to carve his own character." I said it before and I'll say it again, I love that the Gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something. The purpose of the Gospel is to "make bad men good and good men better." -David O McKay
On Friday (June 1) we were sitting on a bench on campus reading out loud from Moroni 7 since our investigator would be calling us that evening to talk about what he had read. We were reading these verses:

12 Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually.
13 But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God.
14 Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil.

I looked up and couldn't help but laugh. There was nobody outside, just us. However, right across the street from where we were sitting were all these fraternities and sororities. I just couldn't help but laugh and interrupt whoever was reading to tell them. :)

I have felt my love for people and for missionary work grow even bigger this week. I love the peace and direction that the Gospel brings. The love I feel from my Savior as I am out here serving in Oklahoma has been incredible. I know I've shared this scripture before, but I love it. "...I the Lord build the ruined places, and plant that that was desolate: I the Lord have spoken it, and I will do it." -Ezekiel 36:36 Sometimes we feel like we're torn down in life. We feel like we have given everything we have to give. As we turn our burdens over to the Savior He is able to build us up into something better and stronger than before. I know without a sliver of doubt that God lives and loves each and everyone of us. I know Christ is our Savior and that by relying on His mercy, merits and grace (2 Nephi 2:8) we can become the men and women God wants us to be. I know that not only does Christ's Atonement cleanse us from sin, but it strengthens us and enables us to do things we wouldn't be able to do on our own. If I didn't know this before my mission, I certainly know it now. :) If it were not for Christ's strengthening and enabling power (AKA Grace) I would not be serving a mission right now. I would not be the person I am today. I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ more than words can express. I am so grateful that my Heavenly Father loves me enough to give me trials so that I can become a better servant of His.

I love y'all very very much! :D Have a great week!

Love, Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment