Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Email: 29 May 2012

Hey Family and Friends,

So I'm assuming y'all got a call from President Taylor. I'm really sad about what happened and I wish it didn't have to happen. It's really unfortunate that something like this would happen, but I guess the Lord knows what He is doing..............

Sister Record and Sister Buckley with giant arrows

Sister Record and Sister Buckley with Alligator and Ostrich Jerkey

Sister Missionaries with Sister Taylor at Zone Conference



I'm just kidding! Everything is great! No phone calls from President Taylor and you can totally disregard that fist part of my email. Except that part about how the Lord knows what He is doing... because he sure does. :D Before I share my exciting discovery I have to tell you that I have ridden my bike more in the last week than I have my entire mission. It's been great!

Sister Nelson, Sister Christenson
and Sister Record
Yesterday We stopped to help a young man and young woman push their car out of the street (which was really off to the side of the street, not actually in the street) into a parking lot. Well it had been raining so there were a lot of puddles. We helped him push his car into the parking lot and as we were pushing a car drove by and splashed us. Sister Nelson and Christenson got soaked because of were they were standing, I didn't get wet hardly at all. (The three of us could not stop laughing! Good thing we were on our way back for the day) After we got all wet 2 or 3 other guys came to help us push the car into the parking lot. The people we helped were very thankful for our help and felt bad we had gotten all wet. The three of us still thought it was pretty funny that we were soaked. Sister Christenson said, "It's okay! We're missionaries, it's what we do!" and then gave them a mormon.org card. It was a pretty great time and it made us all pretty happy.

OKay! Time for my discovery! I have to give you a little bit of a preface. I've been pondering and praying a lot over some recent events that have happened to me (don't worry... it was just transfers and things that happened in my last area. Nothing major. I PROMISE! It's just part of being a missionary) I got my answer to my question a couple weeks ago. I found my answers in D&C 121:45 and in 2 Nephi 9:39. D&C talks about letting virtue garnish our thoughts unceasingly and 2 Nephi talks about being spiritually minded vs carnally minded. Okay... So I have my answer to my question. I need to be spiritually minded and let virtue garnish my thoughts unceasingly. As a missionary it is really easy to let discouragement get to you. I had my answer but I wasn't quite sure on how to apply what I'd learned. (Keep in mind, I'm trying to describe weeks of experience and studies all in one short email. So there are details that are missing. I apologize.) On Sunday our district leader and his companion came to our apartment to get our goals for this transfer. (No we are getting to the juicy part of the email)

Elder Hansen told us about an interview he had with President Taylor. Since there are Elders serving in this area, which is a college town, President Taylor gave all the Elders words of wisdom to help them keep their minds were they need to be. Elder Hansen asked President Taylor when a thought becomes a sin. Basically President Taylor said it takes 3 seconds for the brain to produce chemicals associated with the thought. So you have that 3 second window to get rid of the thought. Elder Hansen was surprised. I mean, 3 seconds is not a long time at all. So Elder Hansen asked what to do when those kind of thoughts come up. President Taylor told him to think three words. "I choose Christ."

The Elders kept telling us how amazing this technique was. We talked to them about how it doesn't just apply to immoral thoughts. It applies to any kind of negative thought and any kind of negative thought is not of God. These can be negative thoughts about others, about situations in life, about ourselves, about anything. If it doesn't entice us to do good or to think good things it is not of God. Moroni 7:12-13 says,

"12 Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually.
13 But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God."

As we were all talking about this I felt the Spirit tell me that this was my answer to applying the answer I had received from Doctrine and Covenants 121:45 and 2 Nephi 9:39. It was incredible! So yesterday I decided to apply "I choose Christ" throughout the whole day. Guess what! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As I went through the day whenever a negative or discouraging thought would start to enter my mind I would immediately think, "I choose Christ." As quickly as the discouraging thought came it was gone. As long as I thought the words "I choose Christ" within that three second window.

I wish I would have known about this months ago! I was seriously so happy yesterday! We have all heard that whenever "bad thoughts" come to our mind to think of a hymn or a primary song. That never really works for me because I have to recall the lyrics and the tune and by that time, that three second window is gone. Well, I found yesterday that saying "I choose Christ" to myself often led to thinking of hymns.

To be honest I didn't really apply this principle as well today and I can see a world of difference in my attitude and how I feel about things. I challenge each of you to try this for a day. I promise it WORKS! It is incredible! I feel like I just discovered a gold mine!

I love the Scriptures! I love the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible and all the standard works! There is so many wonderful things in there. I have found answers to prayers and questions I've had numerous times. I have such a testimony of the Book of Mormon and this Gospel. I know the Church is true and that it contains the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful to my Savior for the love he shows me. I love my Heavenly Father and I KNOW he loves me. I wouldn't be were I am today if he didn't. I wish I could just somehow share everything I've been learning about the Gospel and about Heavenly Father and Christ with all of you so you could fully understand how much I love them. Obviously I can't do that. I have only been on my mission for 4 months and I've already learned SO MUCH. If anybody is wondering if they should serve a mission I would say to them "Be Strong and do it." (1st Chronicles 28:10) Being a missionary is the most incredible thing you could ever experience. It isn't easy, but it's so worth it.

I love you very very much! Have a great week and remember to choose Christ. :D

I forgot to tell you about the weird food I've eaten this past week!!

1. Alligator Jerky (delicious!!)
2. Ostrich Jerky (also delicious!!)
3. Authentic Chinese food (very good... but didn't agree with my stomach for some reason)
4. Jellyfish (tasted like seaweed)
5. 100 year old duck egg (it was black inside!)
6. Sister Nelson and I want to swallow a goldfish whole... so that may be coming up soon. haha!

LOVE YOU!!

Love, Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment