Friday, September 28, 2012

Questions and Answers from 24 Sep

Hey there!
The week was pretty good. I mean, I don't think I have any super huge news for the week. I'm glad you just sent me a list of questions dad. I was worried I wasn't going to have any question to answer. :)

1) Do you ever have webcasts in the mission? Meaning, the mission home streams a training or transfer meeting via the Internet. Missionaries can then watch by going to a URL like http://streaming.lds.org.
Nope. Our mission really isn't that big. I think the farthest area from the mission home is probably about 2 hours. Whenever there is a big event we travel to the stake center in Moore, OK (which is also were the mission home is). From Norman we are only about 15 minutes away.

2) If you do watch streamed events, do you have the URL?
see question 1

3) When do you have your next event?
We have transfers on Wednesday, so that is a "big" event I guess. I will get to meet my new missionary on Wednesday. I'm pretty excited. :)

4) What do you hope to accomplish in the next two months?
Oh boy... that is a loaded question. I have so much I want to accomplish and I feel like my time on the mission is so short. Okay... in the next two months.... I really want to work harder than I ever have on my mission up to this point. I want to become better at using and applying the principles of gospel leadership. Like I said, I have a lot of things I want to accomplish. I really like what Elder Callister said (see below in italics).

5) What is something new you learned this week?
Saturday we had the chance to hear from Elder Tad R. Callister and Elder Johnathan C. Roberts of the Seventy. I learned a lot from them. Some of the things that stood out to me was when Elder Callister spoke about becoming a consecrated missionary. He talked about how important it is to put all your heart and strength into the work. There is one thing that has really stuck with me from Elder Callister. It was one of the last things he said. He said, "The Lord doesn't expect perfection tomorrow, but He does expect progression." That is my favorite quote right now. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

Elder Roberts talked about obedience. He used the story of Nephi and Laman and Lemuel. His question was this. "Were Laman and Lemuel obedient?" At first a lot of people said no. Then Elder Callister pointed out that they were obedient. Laman and Lemuel went back to Jerusalem to get the brass plates, they went back to get the daughters of Ishmael, they stayed with their father in the wilderness. The key difference between Nephi and Laman & Lemuel was a willing heart. It isn't enough to simply obey to obey. It is crucial to have a willingness to serve the Lord. Obedience should come from a sincere love of God.

One thing he said that really sunk in deep for me was in reference to Doctrine & Covenants 130:19 "And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come."

Elder Roberts connected the words Knowledge & Intelligence to Diligence and Obedient. As we are obedient to the Lord and diligently do what he asks us to do our understanding of things is increased. That really hit me. There are so many things I don't understand and sometimes it is frustrating. However, the more I am obedient and diligent I will be able to have a better understanding of things. He also promised the whole mission that increased joy and understanding will come through obedience.

6) Is it beginning to feel like Fall yet at all? Still looks like 100 degree weather there.
A few weeks ago it got pretty cool. It dropped down to the 60's and 70's. That felt wonderful. We are definitely back up in the 90's and low 100's. To be honest though, it doesn't feel that hot. Fall should be coming soon though. I am so excited! Fall has always my favorite time of the year.

7) What is your favorite day of the week and why?
Ummm..... I don't know if I have a favorite day of the week or not. I like them all and they are all fairly the same. The only day that is somewhat different is Monday.

8) Are you still in a threesome, or did Sister Nelson leave already?
Yup. Sister Nelson leaves on Wednesday, but we will get a new Sister and will still be in a trio.

Thanks for all you love and prayers! :) I love y'all very much! Talk to you next week.
Love, Sister Record

2 comments:

  1. Please tell Sister Record that I read her updates every week and I love how inspiring she is. She's so focused in her letters and it's really motivating to me to read them. She's a good missionary.

    ReplyDelete