Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas!!

Happy Christmas Eve!
What a wonderful time of year to be a missionary and representative of Jesus Christ. I feel so blessed to be here in Oklahoma at this time with so many people who know and love their Savior, Jesus Christ.

This past week has felt like two weeks rolled into one. Sister Nelson and Sister Christensen went home, Sister Obena went to OU, and I picked up my new companion at transfers. My new companion is Sister McKenzie Cooper from Salt Lake City. She is so great! She has such a strong desire to share the gospel with people. She is also super short, which is kind of fun. She is 4'9 :) haha! It's so great. I can only imagine what people think when the two of us knock on their door. I was going to send pictures of me and my new companion, but I can't find my camera cord. Maybe next week.

The past few days have been great with Sister Cooper. She invited somebody to be baptized on her 2nd day and on Saturday gave away her first Book of Mormon. I was so proud of her. :) We have been working really hard and striving to be exactly obedient and we have seen miracles! I know that our Heavenly Father provides us with miracles according to our faith and obedience.

One of those miracles was that last Sunday a member gave us a referral. She had given a lady a ride home from the store because she locked her keys in the car. Our member told us that this woman had met with missionaries before when she lived in Chickasha. She has been to church a few times since she has been here. (I had no idea she ever came to our church before.) She is even friends with a few other members in our ward and some in the 1st ward. We went and saw her on Wednesday, but she was about to leave so we didn't talk to her much.

Yesterday we hadn't planned to see her, but we decided we needed to go see her. We went to her home and she let us right in. We got to talking and she had met with Sister missionaries 4 years ago before she moved here. She told us how she doesn't understand why there are so many churches. She believes there should only be one church because there is only one God. As she was talking I felt the soft, quiet prompting that she needs to be invited to be baptized. So Sister Cooper and I taught a 3 minute version of the Restoration. We asked her if she would follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized by somebody holding the priesthood authority of God. She said she would! :D She didn't set a date to be baptized, but she said she wants to be baptized. She talked about how she was baptized as a baby, but it wasn't by immersion. She told us that she felt she needed to be baptized by immersion. It was an incredible experience! We are going back after Christmas to teach her. She is so READY for this in her life! I am so excited to start teaching her.

Yesterday Sister Cooper and I taught Sunday school. We read the Christmas story in Luke 2. As we read I had an insight that I have never had before. I can't tell you how many times I have heard this story. In Luke 2:15-17 it talks about the shepherds after the angel told them about the birth of Christ.

“15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
16 And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.
17 And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.” (Luke 2:15-17)

What stood out to me was in verse 16 it says that, "they came with haste". Once they knew about the birth of Christ they quickly went to see him. Then in verse 17 they shared what they knew with people after they saw Christ. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we have the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My prayer is that each of us quickly grab hold of that knowledge and then "make it known abroad" concerning His Gospel. :)

Yup... missionary work is the best. A hardworking missionary is a happy missionary. I have come to learn this throughout my mission. Sister Cooper and I made a transfer goal to come home every night exhausted. So far we are doing pretty good with that goal. haha!

I hope everybody has a wonderful Christmas! I love you!!
Love, Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment