Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Another Week... Gone!

Hi family and friends!
Look at all the snow! oh wait... this is Oklahoma. haha!
This week has been a pretty good week. :) Sister Cooper and I are working hard and trying to be obedient and humble. We taught one girl who is struggling to come to church. We were pretty bold and loving with her. We taught her about the Sabbath Day and how church attendance was part of keeping the sabbath day holy. The Spirit was strong and we told her that Heavenly Father wanted us to tell her that He wanted her to come to church. She is such a sweet girl! She is from China and really wants to know if the Book of Mormon is true. I love her so much!

We were invited to catholic mass on Saturday evening... so we got to go to that. It was very interesting to see the differences and even some similarities to our church. :)

Going to catholic mass! It was pretty neat! :)
One thing I have noticed over the past couple days is that the closer we come to Christ the more we realize how far we are from being like him. It's one of those weird things that happens. I have always loved Ether 12:27

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27)

It is a promise there that if we come unto Christ he will show us our weaknesses. The reason this happens is to humble us. All of this leads to what is described in the final verses of the Book of Mormon. In Moroni 10:32-33

"Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot." (Moroni 10:32-33)

The purpose of God showing us our weaknesses is not only to humble us, but so that we can change and one day become perfected in Christ. One of the Sisters I serve around brought up that Jacob 5:9 talks about our weaknesses. The verse says, "Take thou the branches of the wild olive tree, and graft them in, in the stead thereof; and these which I have plucked off I will cast into the fire and burn them, that they may not cumber the ground of my vineyard."

She brought up that the wild branches can represent our weaknesses. Often times we have weaknesses that we want to get rid of, but really we just want to put them to the side so we can keep them handy. Heavenly Father is saying, "We don't want to put your weaknesses away only when it is convenient. We need to burn them and completely get rid of those weaknesses so they don't "cumber" or weigh us down. How do we get rid of our weaknesses?

We come unto Christ. We apply the Doctrine of Christ in our lives which is made possible through Christ's Atonement. We first have faith in Christ which leads us to action. Because of our faith in Christ we repent of our sins with full purpose of heart. As we repent, we then make and keep covenants (such as baptism) with Him. Because of our obedience we then have the Holy Ghost which gives us the strength to endure to the end. This process has completely changed me over the last year or so. I am so grateful for all that I have learned about the Atonement.

I have really come to love Jacob 5! Really the whole Book of Mormon is absolutely amazing! I've grown to love it more than I ever have before. :) I know it is a book inspired of God. My life has been completely changed by studying and applying the things I learn from the Book of Mormon.

I love you all! I hope you have a great week! :)

Love, Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment