Monday, March 5, 2012

Email: 5 March 2012

This week has been great! I have really enjoyed my first week out here in OK.  It's definitely been hard, but so worth it. Sister Bowles and I have seen quite a few miracles already.  She is a great trainer and I'm really thankful we are companions. We get a long great and a lot of the time are thinking the same thing. We had a great experience with an 18 year old young lady.

On Saturday during comp study I mentioned to her that I really wanted to go to a park to talk to people since it was Saturday and the weather was nice.  So later in the day she and I finally made it to the park. (a park that sister Bowles "randomly" drove to  We sat in the car and looked at the people in the park. Neither one of us was feeling the prompting to go talk to any of them.  So we just sat in the car for a few minutes.  I saw a young woman walking at the opposite end of the park and told sister Bowles we should talk to her.  We both jumped out of the car and went to talk to her.  Before we had a chance to introduce ourselves (we were still a little ways away from her) she called out and asked if we were from a church.  I said we were and that we wanted to talk to her for a few minutes.

We caught up to her and I started to ask her about her religious background. She told me she use to go to one church but stopped going and is looking for a different one to go to.  So sister Bowles and I basically gave her the first discussion in 5 minutes.  I also asked her how she would feel if there was a prophet on the earth today.  She really liked that and said she thought that would give her more direction in her life.  Sister Bowles then showed her a picture of President Monson.  We told her that he was the living prophet on the earth today.

Then (name withheld) asked us if we do baptism in our church! We told her we did and explained some more about why baptism in our church is different than other churches.  We left her with a copy of the Book of Mormon and a restoration pamphlet. She agreed to let us come back and teach her more about the church. So with that, sister Bowles asked her if we could say a prayer. After the prayer Sister Bowles and I left. When we were almost back to the car Sister Bowles said she was hoping I was going to invite her to be baptized because the moment was so perfect. She said we could always go back and invite her.

So that's what we did. We turned around to go invite her to be baptized.  When we turned around we were shocked to see her throwing up on the grass.  We asked her if she was okay and if there was anything we could do to help her.  She told us she has just been feeling sick all afternoon and that she was on her way to the store to get a 7up.  We told her we would go get it for her since we had a car.  Once we were back with the 7up and after talking to her a little, I told her I had one more question to ask her and that's why we had come back.  So with that, I said, "(name withheld), when you come to know of the truthfulness of the things we told you, will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by somebody holding the priesthood authority of God?" she said yes!! She is scheduled to be baptized on April 14th.  She sure is wonderful and Sister Bowles and I love her so much already.

I feel very blessed to have the Lord working through me. I'm thankful that the Holy Ghost was guiding Sister Bowles and I all day on Saturday just to lead us to be in the right place at the right time.  It was amazing.  I'm thankful that Sister Bowles mentioned that we could always go back and talk to (name withheld).  Sister Bowles is the greatest! She is so good at listening to the promptings of the Spirit. 
This was one of the best parts of my mission so far! :D  Saturday morning I really wanted to extend the baptismal invitation but didn't have the chance to. The week was coming to an end and I was running out of time.  Heavenly Father really does grant us the righteous desires of our hearts.

-Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment